Most crashes are easily preventable, through controlling speed, and through smart design which makes roads safer for all users (including drivers!).
Jersey City Needs a Speed Management Strategy
Jersey City needs to get serious about reducing crash rates by committing to implementing a strategy to reduce vehicle speeds.
Fatalities greatly increase when speeds rise just 10 miles above 20mph.
“Ok, deaths are definitely horrible, but how else would improving traffic safety benefit my neighborhood?”
- Safer streets are streets that are safe and accessible for people who are 8 years old and 80 years old. All ages and abilities are accounted for.
- People want to be out and about if the streets are safer for them to use. That’s great for reducing crime, boosting our economy and building our sense of community.
- The more people feel comfortable out using our streets, the better:
- Our health
- Our environment
- Our mobility choices
- Our sense of community and public safety
- Our economy
- Our enjoyment of where we live
“Great! How do we make our streets safer for everyone?”
The City must:
- Commit to a policy of “Vision Zero,” which would aim to work towards ZERO traffic fatalities.
- Implement real road design enhancements that encourage slower driving and more equitably shared space for all road users (drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit).
- When done properly, Complete Streets design techniques actually IMPROVE the flow of vehicles, while providing much safer environments for pedestrian and bicyclists.
- Many of these techniques are inexpensive and can be implemented quickly.
- Commit greater Police and Public Safety resources to improving the enforcement of dangerous traffic behavior.
- Better utilize data to effectively improve areas in need of engineering and enforcement efforts.
- Engage residents in all neighborhoods as partners for improving Traffic Safety.
- Step up and work with Safe Streets JC to make our concerns the priority of our Elected Officials.
- Think about your neighborhood – what would make it safer for you to move around and have increased safe mobility options (walking, biking, transit, and even safer driving)?
- Learn with us – we have to educate ourselves to be stronger advocates for ourselves
- Practice more awareness and safe behavior when each of uses our streets, especially when driving a vehicle. We should be part of the solution in our daily lives!